We believe that the gospel is news. It is the good news that Jesus came to save you…to give you new life! That is crazy good news but that is not the whole news. What is missing? Well, a few things, but for our focus today it is important to remember that you are not the only one Jesus came to save. Jesus came to save a “people” (1 Peter 2:10). God is definitely saving individuals but He is saving them into a family. The message of the Bible is that Christians best reflect God’s glory when they are united and connected.
In other words, as a church we want to do what families do. We want to eat together, play together, learn together, celebrate together, cry together, work together, grow together and care for each other. The Apostle Paul tells us that we are all parts of one body that functions best when we all dive in (1 Cor. 12:12-27). So – as an invitation – I want to remind you of some great opportunities over the next few weeks to pursue and reflect this rich gospel family.
Work Party – Saturday, May 6 at 8 AM-12 PM
- Families work together! This Saturday a bunch of outdoor projects are going to be tackled on the grounds of Sojourn. It will be a sweet time of serving as well as getting to know some fellow Sojourners (over 3 dozen people have already committed to come!).
- If you have a minute, rsvp to Leighton at email@example.com.
Membership Class – Sunday, May 7 at 12:30 PM
- Families commit to each other. Becoming a member at Sojourn is a significant way of planting roots and making a commitment to a group of people. As a member you are saying, “I am all in.” You are choosing to function in covenant (what can I give?) instead of as a consumer (what do I get?). We would love to have you join us for class this Sunday!
- Please rsvp to firstname.lastname@example.org by TODAY, May 4.
Child Dedications – Sunday, May 14
- Families partner together. This special time is not just for kids and parents. It is a time when our whole church family affirms a parents desire to raise their kids to love Jesus AND a time when the church family promises to be part of that great journey.
- If you have a child that you would like to dedicate please contact the church office at email@example.com.
Baptisms – Sunday, May 28 at 11 AM
- Families celebrate together and baptisms are a celebration! Baptisms have 3 aspects:
- You are going public with your faith. You get to share how God has rescued you.
- God is going public with you. At Jesus’ baptism, God told Jesus “This is my son in whom I am well pleased!” When you become a Christian you are adopted into the family of God…and at your baptism God proclaims, “You are my child in whom I am well pleased!”
- Your church family celebrates what God is doing in you. We all get encouraged by hearing each other’s stories of how God has been and still is at work in your life!
- If you are interested in getting baptized, please contact the church office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible.
In Christ we are family so we want to live as family …and you are invited! (Rom. 15:7)