Dear Church Family,
Greetings! We are just about one week from Easter. This pre-Easter season, often referred to as Lent, is an invitation to think deeply about the reality of physical death, about the reality of spiritual death and to long for a rescue from both.
The Bible says that the only hope for a rescue from death is Jesus Christ crucified and risen. This sober lead up, this longing, makes Easter Sunday a morning of intense joy and celebration as we worship a risen Christ! Jesus is the true and only Savior of the world who went to the cross to die in our place and then he conquered sin, death and Satan as he rose again. Now, because of that, we can be alive in the only way that matters. And this life is given to us as a free gift by faith alone! This is THE Good News!
Holy Week is Sunday, March 25-Saturday, March 31 followed by Easter Sunday, April 1. Here are some updates that we hope will enrich this significant time in our annual calendar:
- Annual Mercy Offering – From now until Easter (April 1) we will be collecting our Annual Mercy Offering. These are funds that we will disperse throughout the year to help those in need in our church family and in our community. Last year this offering exceeded $12,000! The beauty of this offering is how it reflects God’s heart for the poor and how it allows us to do more together than we ever could alone. Because of your generosity, we had the joy of distributing almost $8,000 over the last 12 months. We want to do it again. Please partner with us to meet the needs of others! (Make sure to designate your gift as “Annual Mercy Offering”.)
- Creative Giving Ideas: part or all of your tax return; $52 (equal to $1/week); $120 (equal to $10/month); $365 (equal to $1/day); sell something and give the proceeds (Acts 4:32-37); a percentage of your annual income.
- Passion Story Texts – we are trying something new this year! Starting on Thursday, March 30 and going through Sunday, April 1 we will sending a series of texts (throughout the day and night) that will invite you to experience our best guess of the timeline of Jesus’ final days. Our prayer is that it will equip you to prayerfully weep and rejoice as you process Jesus’ work on your behalf. If you would like to receive these updates, text holyweek to 555888.
- Good Friday, March 30, 6 PM – We will gather to remember the agony and suffering that our Lord Jesus endured on the cross for us. We will sing, read, pray and mourn as we feel the weight of a crucified Jesus.
- Easter Sunday, April 1, 9 & 11 AM – This is a special Sunday as it is the culmination of the Lenten season. We cannot wait to worship with you on Easter morning! (It is also a time when a lot of people who do not “normally go to church” will be looking for a church to attend. Consider inviting someone to come with you to learn about and worship King Jesus.)
Holy Week is a precious time for Christians. We mourn and we celebrate. Let the weight of our mortality and sinfulness drive us to the foot of the cross. Then let the beauty and power of a risen Christ lift our heads!
For Christ and His Church,
Matthew Herron, Pastor
P.S. Please make sure to check the back of this letter for some additional updates.
- Sunday, April 15 – Sojourn Membership Class – This is both a necessary step to becoming a member at Sojourn as well as a great opportunity to get to know us better. Lunch is provided. Please RSVP to email@example.com
- Sunday, May 6 – Femi Osunnuyi, City Church in Lagos, Nigeria – DON’T MISS THIS SUNDAY! Last year we entered a four-year partnership with City Church in Lagos, Nigeria. Pastor Femi is the Lead Pastor of this young church and he will be preaching here! (We tentatively plan on having a “meet and greet” that evening as well.)
- Sunday, May 13 – Mothers Day & Baby Dedications – As we thank God for the wonderful gift of mothers, we will also take a few minutes to dedicate babies/children to the Lord. Baby Dedications are a precious time (for all of us) of simply recognizing the gift of children as well as the responsibility that parents and the local church have in raising them. Please contact the church office and let us know if you have a baby/child that you would like to have dedicated.
- Sunday, May 20 – Baptisms – At Sojourn we believe that baptism is a visible representation of the gospel and its power in the life of one who has trusted Christ alone for salvation. If you have trusted Christ but have never been baptized then why wait? Please contact the church office or one of our pastors and let us know of your interest.
- Sunday, July 1 – Sojourn in the City – We are doing it AGAIN! On the first Sunday of Cherry Festival we will gather at 10 AM for a combined Worship Service at The City Opera House. We had such a great time last year…you will not want to miss it.
- Friday, July 24 – Party at the Beach – This is our one big summer party when we feast on a low country boil while enjoying the beach at Greilickville Park. Mark your calendars!